So, just when you thought you had it all figured out with homemade burgers for dinner, then comes the new biggest food trend – the avo burger bun which is capturing food lovers’ attention worldwide.
The concept was created by Colette Dike a food stylist based in Asmterdam who blends food with decoration. Rather than the gluten-ladened bun, she chooses to house both traditional and vegan burgers between avocados that have been halved and skinned.
Some say avo burger buns are a weird trend but we say it’s sheer culinary genius and a brilliant way to ensure your body gets in all the good fats & potassium this avo season!
Basically, now the avo is the burger bun! What’s more, there is no limit when it comes to fillings. Stay traditional with burger fillings of cheese and bacon, go for a Hawaiian with chicken, pineapple and mayo or go vegan by using a soy burger patty.
With its sultry filling facade, this little carb-free creation has Instagram abuzz.
Avo Burger Bun Sliders
Yield 8 Sliders
Cut the gluten and try out these avo burger bun sliders! They're quick to prepare, delicious to eat, and perfect as a weekend treat.
- 500g ground beef, extra lean
- 1 egg
- 2 tablespoons pesto
- 1 large plum tomato, cut into 8 slices
- 6 slices cheddar cheese
- 8 ripe avocados
- Gently combine ground beef, pesto, egg, 1/4 teaspoon salt, and 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper in a bowl.
- Divide beef mixture into 8 equal portions, shaping each into a 1/4-inch-thick patty.
- Heat a grill pan over medium-high heat.
- Coat pan with cooking spray.
- Add patties to pan; cook for 3 minutes on each side or until desired degree of doneness.
- Cut avocados in half, remove pip and peel. Top one half with 1 tomato slice, 1 cheese slice and 1 patty. Top with the other avocado half, season with salt & freshly ground pepper.