The DeMorgenzon Reserve Chenin Blanc 2016 has been awarded the coveted International Chenin Blanc Trophy at the 2017 International Wine Challenge (IWC) in London for a remarkable and unprecedented third consecutive year. The IWC is judged by an international team of wine experts.
DeMorgenzon Reserve Chenin Blancs have now established themselves as among the best wines in the world. As well as achieving the top spot for the last three years at the IWC, the 2015 DeMorgenzon Reserve Chenin Blanc was selected as the best Chenin Blanc and Trophy Winner at the 2016 International Wine and Spirits Competition and took a gold medal at the Decanter World Wine Awards.
But it’s not only their Chenin Blancs that excel. Their Reserve Chardonnay 2016 was awarded the Stellenbosch Chardonnay Trophy at the same IWC competition, making the estate an exceptional white wine producer in the global arena.
Last year their Chardonnay Reserve 2015 was judged best in the world by the 2016 Decanter World Wine Awards beating wines from Australia, New Zealand, France, America, Argentina, Chile and all other wine producing nations.
Other awards and accolades won for their Chenin Blancs and Chardonnays in recent years
- DeMorgenzon Chardonnay Reserve 2015 wins trophy for best Stellenbosch Chardonnay at the International Wine Challenge (IWC)
- DeMorgenzon Divas Chenin Blanc 2013 shown at New York Wine Experience,and described by Matt Kramer of Wine Spectator, as one of his best white wines of this millennium
- DeMorgenzon Maestro White 2014 – winner of the International White Blend Trophy at the Decanter World Wine Awards 2016
- DeMorgenzon Reserve Chenin Blanc 2015 – winner of the International Trophy at the 2016 International Wine and Spirits Competition
- DeMorgenzon Reserve Chardonnay 2013 – Platters White Wine Of The Year
- DeMorgenzon Maestro White 2012 – Platters White Wine Of The Year
- DeMorgenzon Reserve Chenin Blanc 2005 – Maiden Vintage Platter Five star.
DeMorgenzon owner Wendy Appelbaum is over the moon at the global recognition for the estate’s wines: “What we are really thrilled about with this latest IWC Award is that it demonstrates the consistent high quality of our Chenins. To win this prestigious award three times in a row is an achievement that I am extremely proud of and it clearly elevates us to being recognised as one of the best producers of Chenin Blanc in the world.
“Stellenbosch has the finest terroir in the country and, being situated on the coolest slopes and close to the ocean with constant sea breezes means we have the perfect location to grow the best grapes,” adds Appelbaum.
Winemaker and general manager Carl van der Merwe concurs: “DeMorgenzon is a farm which is ideally suited to both Chardonnay and Chenin Blanc. I believe it’s a magical combination of the weathered granite soils and the influence of the morning sun and cooling sea.
“The De Morgenzon Reserve Chenin Blanc 2016 is a world class wine that strikes a brilliant balance between lush fruit and crisp mouth-watering acidity. There are opulent flavours of pear, orange blossom, caramel and spice.”
The International Wine Challenge – which is now in its 34th year – is recognised as one of the world’s finest and most meticulously judged wine competitions which assesses every wine blind and judges each for its faithfulness to style, region and vintage. Throughout the rigorous judging processes, each medal-winning wine is tasted on three separate occasions by at least 10 different international judges.