Gluhwein is a popular German beverage usually prepared during the winter months. It’s a delicious warm beverage prepared with red wine, spices and sometimes fruit like orange slices or blueberries are also added. It’s so easy to prepare and makes a wonderful drink to warm up those chilly evenings. And if you’re looking for an alcohol free gluhwein recipe, this one is perfect.
This gluhwein is an alcohol free one that is just as delicious as the original version. Use red wine instead of red grape juice for the real thing.
To make enough alcohol free gluhwein for four people:
- Pour 1.5L red grape juice into a medium saucepan.
- Add 2 whole cloves, a pinch ground nutmeg, 2 whole cinnamon sticks, 1 lemon, sliced and one orange, sliced.
- Gently warm the mixture up – it must not come to the boil!
- As soon as the juice start steaming, turn the heat down to the lowest setting and cover the saucepan.
- Allow the gluhwein to infuse for about 30 minutes before removing the spices and serving warm.