Mango atchar is a traditional South African Indian condiment, usually served alongside curries and other spicy dishes. It’s prepared using unripe, green mangoes, chillies and spices. The spicyness depens on you and can be adjusted accordingly.
What you’ll need:
- 4 – 5 medium green mangoes, washed
- 180 ml vegetable oil
- 180 ml sugar
- 45 ml masala spice
- 3 green chillies, chopped
- 3 red chillies. chopped
- zest of 1 lemon
- 3 cloves garlic, chopped
- generous pinch of salt
- 5 ml whole mustard seeds
How to go about it:
- Cut the mangoes into about 2 cm chunks with the skin still on. Some people leave the stone (or pip) in, but I don’t. It’s up to you.
- Place the chunks of mango into a glass bowl and add the rest of the ingredients. Mix it through.
- Cover the bowl and allow the mixture to stand in a cool place for 3 days. Stir the mixture every now and then, but keep covered.
- After 3 days the atchar can be bottled, using sterilised jars or used immediately.